Here in Norfolk we love our easy access to the long stretches of sandy beaches and warm waters along 142 km of Lake Erie shoreline. Our 65,000 residents benefit from living in a semi-rural area where we enjoy peaceful family living in safe communities with access to good schools and churches, excellent sports and recreational facilities, and cultural activities all in a picturesque natural setting.
In Norfolk County we are proud of our welcoming spirit and cooperative attitude. These are reflected in our active service clubs, volunteer organizations and neighbourhood life.
Why would anyone want to live anywhere else?
- 8 golf courses
- Low cost of living and practice overhead
- Affordable housing and availability of both land and real estate
- Short and easy commutes to work
- Long sandy beaches
- Water sports galore: sailing, fishing, scuba diving, boating, kayaking, windsurfing, kite-boarding
- Abundant local produce; the 100-mile diet is easy in Norfolk
- Miles of trails for biking and hiking
- Easy access to airports, arts, shopping and entertainment in the big cities of London, Hamilton, Kitchener and Toronto
- Friendly and welcoming people
- Community festivals and fairs including Norfolk County Fair and Horse Show
- Carolinian forests
- Long Point Bird Banding Station
- Temperate climate with extended growing and summer recreation season
- Abundance of shops, restaurants, and recreational facilities
And our not-so-well kept secrets:
- Long Point and the UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve
- Port Dover Friday the 13th motorcycle rally
- Norfolk County Fair and Horse Show
The communities of Delhi, Waterford, Port Dover and Simcoe provide a good cross-section of educational facilities, including:
- Public Elementary & Secondary Schools, Grand Erie School Board
- Catholic Elementary & Secondary Schools, Brant Haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board
- Early Childhood Learning Centres & Day Care
- French Immersion
- Private schools within a short commute
- Christian Schools
- Fanshawe College Campus
- 5 Universities and 4 Community Colleges within 90 minutes drive
- Public Libraries
- And many more family and child resources
Along Ontario’s South Coast activities and recreation are almost countless. From arenas to zip-lines, golf to tennis, SCUBA diving to kite-boarding and hockey to snowmobiling, there’s something here for everyone. Golfers, outdoor enthusiasts, beach goers and water sport devotees enjoy our temperate climate and summer recreation season. Artists, photographers and musicians find inspiration and infinite subjects in our lush Carolinian forests, picturesque landscapes and beautiful shorelines.
Norfolk County is committed to serving the people of Norfolk with excellent parks and recreation facilities and programs. We have a well-established infrastructure of public arenas, indoor and outdoor pools and parks, many of which have been recently updated. Please visit the Norfolk County website for a complete listing of our programs and facilities.
Too numerous to list, Norfolk is home to a huge variety of service clubs and businesses offering all the same sports, arts and cultural activities you would expect to find in a bigger centre. From health clubs to music and karate to hockey you will find activities that interest you by completing a specific search at the Haldimand Norfolk Information Centre website.
The main employment opportunities in Norfolk County are in healthcare, education, social services, tourism, trades, small business, agriculture, forestry and fishing. When you do locate to Norfolk County, we’ll do our utmost to support and facilitate your spouse’s job search.
Some of our major local employers include:
- Norfolk County including:
- Haldimand-Norfolk Public Health Unit
- Social Services
- Norview Lodge
- Norfolk General Hospital and Norfolk Hospital Nursing Home
- Haldimand-Norfolk Resource Education and Counseling Help (REACH)
- Community Care Access Centre (CCAC)
- Grand Erie School Board
- Brant Haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board
- Breyers-Good Humour (the largest ice-cream plant in Canada)
- Toyotestsu Canada, Inc.
- Esso (Imperial Oil) Refinery
- Ontario Power Generation
- US Steel
Re-posted with permission from: ngh.on.ca